Young Professionals CNG
Who we are:
The CNG for young professionals. This diverse group seeks to connect, educate, engage, and inspire young professionals in a culture of social consciousness, leadership development, and volunteerism that will benefit Tompkins County. This group is geared towards staff who are in the early stages of their career or transitioning into higher education. The average age of participants is under 40 but all ages are welcome.
- Raise the awareness of issues faced by the young professionals at Cornell
- Provide a forum for young professionals and their supporters to discuss topics of interest and concern
- Support workforce recruitment and retention of young professionals for Cornell using the G.E.A.R model
Give –sponsor an annual community service event relevant to the CNGs interests
- members will be given an opportunity to enact useful change and impact a relevant cause within the local community
Engage –provide networking opportunities with established leaders for YPs
- by arranging social meet and greets with senior staff leaders
Achieve –provide career development opportunities and resources
- by presenting professional development knowledge and information, such as: management training videos, educational engagements, & keynote speakers, etc.
Recruit –support the R&R of YPs for Cornell’s staff workforce
- also actively encourage fellow staff professionals to join the CNG
Meet The Board
Ten Van Winkle: Chairperson
I’m Ten Van Winkle (she/they), current Chairperson for the Young Professionals CNG. I joined the Cornell workforce in 2021 and came on board with the YPCNG in early 2022. As a team member at Mann Library, I assist students, staff, faculty, and the community with getting access to the library’s myriad resources. The CNG has been a great way to connect with people across the university, and my goal is to provide other young professionals with the sense of stability and belonging that the CNG has provided me. Connect with me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Jayla Greene: Co-Vice Chairperson
Hi! My name is Jayla Greene (she/her/hers) and I am currently serving as a Co-Vice Chairperson for the Young Professionals Colleague Network Group. I have been at Cornell since July 2017 working in Arts & Sciences Advising. In addition to my role on campus supporting our undergrad students in A&S, I am excited to be involved with creating a space for young professionals to develop and connect with folks across campus, but also be heard at Cornell. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
Billy Streleckis: Historian
Hello, my name is Billy Streleckis (he/him/his) and I’ll be serving as the historian for the Young Professionals CNG! I’m a recent television radio graduate of Ithaca College and joined Cornell in the fall of 2021 as an AV assistant in Systems Engineering. Although my time here so far has been short, Cornell has already started to feel like home, and I want to help more young professionals achieve their professional goals here. Feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org
Soubhagya Chattopadhyay: Member-at-Large
Hello! My name is Soubhagya Chattopadhyay(she/her). I’m a member at large of the YPCNG executive board. I joined the College of Veterinary Medicine as a Recruiter and DEI Partner in 2021. I have been a part of Cornell University since 2018, when I started as a graduate student in ILR School. As a board member, I’m excited to meet other professionals in the early phase of their Cornell careers and work towards creating a more inclusive space for their engagement and development. You can reach me at email@example.com.
Hi, I’m Amy Li (she/they)! I am the External Relations Specialist at Cornell University’s College of Veterinary Medicine, where I manage the college’s social media and media relations. I grew up in Ithaca and attended Cornell University as an undergraduate (Class of 2014), before moving to Atlanta for graduate school. After completing an English Ph.D. in science fiction, I moved back to Ithaca in 2021. As a board member, I’d like to help people make connections both career-wise and socially, and I am excited about contributing to a safe space for discussion amongst young professionals with diverse experiences and aspirations. You can reach me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi! I'm Asha Jain (she/her/hers), member-at-large FOR the YPCNG executive board. I currently work in CALS as a Lab Manager and Research Technician in the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics. I have been part of the Cornell community since 2014 when I joined the Genomics Core facility of the Institute of Biotechnology in Cornell’s Research Division. I am excited to be part of a broader community of young professionals in the university and bring a unique experience as someone who has navigated the challenges of advancement and opportunity in technical fields. I enjoy travel, food, and board games in my spare time and look forward to connecting! You can reach me at email@example.com.
Iván Solís Cruz
Hi everyone! My name is Iván Solís Cruz (he/él) and I am the Assistant Director for Student Services working directly with the Student and Academic Services team at the College of Veterinary Medicine. I started this past April of 2022, and I have been in Cornell since January 2020 where I served as the Residence Hall Director for the Latino Living Center. I have a Master’s of Science in Education and I consider myself a life-long learner. I recently got married and I enjoy spending time with my small family which includes my spouse, dog, and bunny. I have lived in many places including Chicago, IL, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Alaska. As a member, I want to connect other young professionals with other amazing people at Cornell, share resources and connect them with the greater Ithaca community! Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Loan Resources:
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF): The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on your federal Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. Cornell is a qualifying employer.
First Time Home Buyer Resources:
- State of New York Mortgage Agency: (SONYMA) offers low-interest mortgage loans and programs to help qualified buyers purchase their first home.
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Complete Guide to Buying a Home: This is a step by step guide on the process of buying a home with tips and tricks to remember along the way.
*If there are resources that you would like to see added here or topics that should be covered, please reach out to Autumn Moser at email@example.com
Career Development Resources
Career Management Toolkit: This is a helpful toolkit to assist in planning and managing your career development. Check each step for ideas and resources that can help you take charge of your career and maximize your potential.
The Career Navigator: The Career Navigator shows career paths and generic position information. For employment opportunities at Cornell
- Part-Time Study: Eligibility and benefit information for taking Cornell courses tuition-free as you work.
- Fall, Spring, Summer, and Winter courses are all eligible for this benefit
- Employee Degree Program: Earn an undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree as you work.
- School for Continuing Education: Information on registration for employees
- Turning Point: Turning Point is a 5 day leadership program offered through Cornell HR
- CU Learn: CU Learn is a tool for the Cornell workforce and students which provides access to both online and classroom-based non-credit training programs. We recommend the Leadership @Cornell courses!
Salary Negotiation/Promotions Resources
- How to Ask for a Promotion: This is always a difficult conversation, here are some tips!
- AAUW Work Smart: Online program to learn to successfully advocate for yourself in salary negotiation or promotion conversations.
- Top Networking Strategies for Young Professionals: Networking as a young professional is important but not something we always think about especially if you are not job searching. Here are some top networking strategies to keep in mind as you network throughout your career.
- Networking during Coronavirus: Networking can be difficult in a normal situation, drop a pandemic on top of that and it gets even harder! Here is advice on networking during this unique time.
- 7 Dimensions of Wellbeing Resources Guide: Explore resources available to the Cornell community that support all the dimensions of your wellbeing. Includes detailed information about the benefits, programs, and services that support your wellbeing at Cornell
- Fitness Benefit: If you are the Cornell Plan for Healthy Living, get a free membership to Cornell Recreation Wellness Membership or get $15 off monthly membership fees at local fitness providers
- Faculty & Staff Assistance Program: Professional mental health counseling and consultation services. Benefits-eligible employees receive 10 free counseling sessions per calendar year.