Skip to main content

Leaving Cornell

Guidance about what to do when ending your employment at Cornell.

What To Know:

  • Cornell appreciates the time every employee has contributed to supporting our students and mission.
  • Coordinate departure details with your manager and HR representative.
  • NetIDs are de-provisioned approximately 30-60 days after your last day (unless you're an alumnus or retiree).
  • When your NetID is de-provisioned, your name will be removed from university directories.
  • Workday allows former employees access to their personal data (e.g., contact information, tax documents [W-2s], and paycheck data) for 20 months from last day of work.
  • You will need to return your employee ID card and any procurement or university credit cards, as well as keys, prepaid calling cards, department equipment, department books or publications, library materials, or uniforms to your manager.
  • You will be asked to submit an exit survey and may be asked to participate in an exit interview.


  • Notice: Please give at least two weeks advance notice - more advance notice will make transitions easier for your team.
  • Provide a letter of resignation to your manager that indicates your last day at work and copy your HR representative.
  • Time Off Requests (Exempt (salaried) employees): make sure all time off requests are submitted before the payroll cut-off date in the final pay period.
  • Expenses: submit any approved out of pocket expenses for reimbursement.
  • Awardco Points: Check the Employee Recognition portal to redeem any points you may have accumulated during your employment. Points expire once you leave the university.
  • Email Message: set up an away message on or before your last day.
    • Example: This is a message from (name). I am no longer with (department) at Cornell University. Please direct your message to (contact name) at (netID) or phone (phone number).
  • Phone Message: set up a message on your Cornell phone line.
  • Benefits: Contact the HR Services and Transitions Center (607-255-3936) regarding continuation/conversion of benefits as appropriate.
  • Parking: Contact Transportation and Campus Services at 255-7275 to arrange return of personal parking permit and possible refund, if applicable. There are no refunds on pre-paid permits after March 31. 
  • Workday: Add a forwarding address in Workday to receive your W-2 forms and final paycheck. Contact with any questions after your exit.
  • IT Services: Review this list of how your access to IT assets such as Zoom, Office 365, Adobe products, etc. will be impacted when you leave. 
  • Digital Ownership: Transfer ownership of listservs, Cornell Box folders, Qualtrics surveys, etc..
  • Payroll Deduction Purchases at Cornell Store: Contact Cornell Retail Services to arrange payment completion of electronics purchased via the payroll deduction plan.
  • Employees on Visas: Contact the Office of Global Learning to make sure your HR representative has all pertinent information.


Cornell University administers involuntary and voluntary separations from the university as equitably, humanely, and consistently as possible. See University Policy 6.12, Separations, Voluntary and Involuntary (Including Layoff) for details.