Maintain your healthcare coverage abroad when traveling on Cornell University-approved business.
The endowed health plans administered by Aetna on the Ithaca, Weill Cornell Medicine and NYC Tech campuses provide enhanced coverage for international business travel and business sojourn travel (leisure travel in conjunction with a business trip).
Traveling Internationally on University Business or Business Sojourn
International travelers currently covered on an Aetna plan with Cornell can access help for emergency medical attention through Aetna WorldTraveler. This travel policy communicates in over 30 languages, has five regional offices worldwide and offers 24/7 live phone access anywhere in the world. In addition, the Care and Response Excellence (CARE) Team manages care until you return safely home.
Traveling Internationally Not on University Business
Your regular Aetna medical plan provides urgent, non-urgent, routine and medically necessary services while you are abroad. However, if you need medical attention while traveling internationally (or if you are not on University business), you must pay for services out-of-pocket and submit claim forms with itemized receipts once you return to the United States.
Please note there may be specific medical coverage and visa requirements when traveling. For coverage questions or verification letters, please reach out to Aetna at 1-877-371-2007.
Through Aetna’s WorldTraveler policy, international travelers have coverage for medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, trip interruption, lost checked-in luggage, and return of personal belongings.
WorldAware provides a personal and portable service, offering members invaluable safety and security advice and assistance. Registration for WorldAware is not necessary to utilize the evacuation benefit. However, you may pre-register to access security alerts, safety tips, emails and text alerts.
Details and Forms
- Aetna enrolled active faculty and staff under age 70;
- traveling on a Business Trip or Business Sojourn for no more than 180 consecutive days for any one Business Trip or Business Sojourn with no more than 270 travel days in a 12 month period;
- with the business trip authorized by Cornell University; and
- traveling outside your Home Country.
- If your country of residence and/or domicile is the United States or any U.S. Territory/Protectorate, travel between any combination of the 50 United States and U.S. territories/ protectorates is considered traveling within home country.
- Spouse, domestic partner and unmarried eligible dependent children or under who are currently covered by the endowed Aetna plan;
- traveling with the Cornell employee on a Business Trip or Business Sojourn within the allowable amount of consecutive days; and
- traveling outside the Home Country you reside in with the Cornell employee.
You may also view additional Cornell-related international travel insurance information, eligibility and questions via Global Cornell.
*If you are uncertain of your eligibility status for this benefit, please contact your HR representative.
How to Sign Up
Register before you travel
You can print an International WorldTraveler ID Card (pdf) to be used when medical attention is needed anywhere outside of the U.S.
- Go to aetnainternational.com, select Log in and click Register Now
- Enter personal information: first name, last name, and date of birth, and choose Aetna WorldTraveler Plan Member
- Enter your 11-digit CSA# 0299440-016-00081 and 14850 Registration Key, which is also printed on the front of your WorldTraveler ID card; Accept and then click Get Started
- Create a username and password to complete your registration.
Call the experts at the Global Crisis Management a Program, powered by WorldAware at +1-646-513-4232
While every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of this Summary, in the event of any discrepancy the Summary Plan Description and Plan Document will prevail.