Aetna International for Business Travel

Maintain your healthcare coverage abroad when traveling on Cornell University-approved business.

The endowed health plans administered by Aetna on the Ithaca campus and the health plans for the Weill Cornell Medicine and NYC Tech campuses provide enhanced coverage for international travel.

Travel Insurance

International travelers have coverage for Political or Natural Disaster related Evacuation, Repatriation of Remains, Trip Interruption, Lost Checked in Luggage and Return of Personal Belongings.

WorldAware provides a personal and portable service, offering invaluable safety and safety advice and services to members. Registration for WorldAware is not necessary in order to utilize the evacuation benefit. However, you may choose to pre-register to have access to security alerts, safety tips, or email and text alerts. If evacuation is required, make a call to WorldAware and as long as the situation in that country is deemed Red, WorldAware will provide the service.

  • Political or Natural Disaster related Evacuation: Up to $50,000 USD per Insured Person up to $1,000,000 USD per Event.
  • Trip Interruption: Up to $2,000 USD per policy period.
  • Lost Checked in Luggage: Up to $1,000 USD per policy period
  • Return of Personal Belongings: Up to $500

Medical Coverage

International travelers currently covered on an Aetna plan can access help for medical attention through Aetna WorldTraveler, a unit of Aetna that specializes in delivering solutions for corporate travelers. Aetna WorldTraveler communicates in over 30 languages; has five regional offices worldwide; and offers 24/7 live phone access anywhere in the world. Care and Response Excellence (CARE) Team manages care until return safely home.

The insurance plan also covers family members currently covered by an endowed Aetna plan who travel for business with the faculty or staff member. The policy even remains in force for vacation time that the traveler and family may schedule while abroad, so long as the vacation time is appended to an approved business trip.

Your regular health plan provides coverage while you are on vacation. If you need medical attention while traveling internationally (not on University business), you will need to submit a claim form for your expenses once you return to the United States.

More Details & Forms

How to Register

Register before you travel.

You can print an International WorldTraveler ID Card(pdf) to be used when medical attention is needed anywhere outside of the U.S. 

  1. Go to
  2. Select Log In, then click Register Now
  3. Choose Aetna WorldTraveler Plan Member under Step 1, then under Step 2 enter your first name, last name and date of birth.
  4. Enter your 11-digit CSA# 0299440-016-00081 which is also printed on the front of your card.
  5. Enter the Registration Key “14850” that is printed on the front of the ID card.
  6. Create a username and password to complete your registration.

Register for Travel Insurance

1. Go to

2. Enter US0299440 as your Plan Number

3. Create your log-in user name and password


Call the experts at the Global Crisis Management a Program, powered by WorldAware at +1-646-513-4232