Maintain your healthcare coverage abroad when traveling on Cornell University-approved business.
The endowed health plans administered by Aetna on the Ithaca campus and the health plans for the Weill Cornell Medicine and NYC Tech campuses provide enhanced coverage for international travel.
International travelers have coverage for Medical Evacuation, Repatriation of Remains, Trip Interruption, Lost Checked-in Luggage, and Return of Personal Belongings.
WorldAware provides a personal and portable service, offering invaluable safety and safety advice and services to members. Registration for WorldAware is not necessary in order to utilize the evacuation benefit. However, you may choose to pre-register to have access to security alerts, safety tips, or email and text alerts.
- Trip Interruption: Up to $2,000 USD per policy period.
- Lost Checked in Luggage: Up to $1,000 USD per policy period
- Return of Personal Belongings: Up to $500
International travelers currently covered on an Aetna plan can access help for emergency medical attention through Aetna WorldTraveler. Aetna WorldTraveler communicates in over 30 languages; has five regional offices worldwide; and offers 24/7 live phone access anywhere in the world. Care and Response Excellence (CARE) Team manages care until return safely home.
The insurance plan includes dependents currently covered by the endowed Aetna plan who travel with the faculty or staff member. The policy even remains in force for vacation time that the traveler and family may schedule while abroad, so long as the vacation time is appended to an approved business trip.
Your regular Aetna health plan provides urgent, non-urgent, and routine and medically necessary services while you are abroad. If you need medical attention while traveling internationally (or if you are not on University business), you will need to pay for services out-of-pocket and submit a claim form (along with itemized receipts) once you return to the United States.
Register before you travel.
You can print an International WorldTraveler ID Card(pdf) to be used when medical attention is needed anywhere outside of the U.S.
- Go to aetnainternational.com, select Log in and click Register Now
- Enter personal information: first name, last name, and date of birth, and choose Aetna WorldTraveler Plan Member
- Choose Aetna WorldTraveler Plan Member under Step 1, then under Step 2 enter your first name, last name and date of birth.
- Enter your 11-digit CSA# 0299440-016-00081 which is also printed on the front of your card, click Continue
- Create a username and password to complete your registration.
Register for Travel Insurance
1. Go to https://my.worldaware.com/aetnaus
2. Enter Aetna2021 as your Plan Number
3. Create your log-in user name and password
Call the experts at the Global Crisis Management a Program, powered by WorldAware at +1-646-513-4232
Print as PDF