Skip to main content

Warning message

Commencement Volunteers Needed! Be a part of the biggest Cornell celebration of the year, and enjoy great perks, too! Sign up by May 20.

Cornell Children's Tuition Scholarship (CCTS)

Cornell University offers eligible employees a program to provide assistance in paying tuition costs for their children.

The Cornell Children's Tuition Scholarship (CCTS) program assists employees' children in reaching their higher education goals. CCTS provides the children of eligible employees a partial scholarship for study at Cornell or other accredited institutions, and is administered pursuant to the approval of the Board of Trustees as adopted on January 20, 1966, and as amended from time to time. 

Online application*

* The online application for the next academic year (Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring) will be available the first week of April each year. Applications will not be reviewed without the name of the school the student will attend.


The benefit payable will be dependent on the employee’s most recent hire date. The employee may be responsible for providing proof of prior service.


  • Regular full-time employees, ROTC staff or CURW Chaplain who work thirty-five (35) or more hours per week for a term of eight (8) or more months and have satisfied a four (4) year, full-time service requirement;
  • Employees (hired after December 10, 2014), who worked at an institution of higher education immediately prior to joining Cornell in a permanent, benefits-eligible position and who worked at that institution for a period of at least four years of full-time service.
    • The former employer/institution of higher education must have had a program substantially similar to CCTS;
    • Employees will be credited with time served to offset the four (4) year, full time service requirement;
  • Part-time employees hired prior to July 1, 1985 (eligible for a pro-rated benefit);
  • Full-time or part-time employees who have previously satisfied a four (4) year, full-time service requirement. The benefit payable will be dependent on the employee’s most recent hire date. The employee may be responsible for providing proof of prior service. (Effective for applications filed for the 2009/2010 academic year and beyond);
  • Employees who have accrued the four (4) year, full-time waiting period and move to a part-time position (no less than 20 hours per week or the equivalent effort.) (Effective for applications filed for the 2009/2010 academic year and beyond)
  • Part-time employees who have worked part-time for at least eight years (Effective for Applications filed for the Spring 2015 academic year and beyond)
  • University retirees


  • Eligible children shall include: natural-born children, adopted children, stepchildren, and foster children, provided that the foster children have been living in the home of and primarily supported by the employee for at least five years prior to application for CCTS.  Note: Only one employee may claim the student during any given semester.

The CCTS benefit is not available for:

  • Employees of the County Cooperative Extension Associations
  • Students working toward a certificate or diploma*

Student employment does not accrue eligibility toward the CCTS benefit.

* Board of Trustees Amendment, effective 12/11/2014: Students who have a medical condition that precludes the completion of a standard degree program, should be accorded the opportunity to complete a certificate or diploma that meets their needs and provides educational development in the appropriate setting. Medical documentation from an attending physician is required in order to approve the certificate or diploma.

 Employment Status Change

Employment Status Change

CCTS Benefit Changes


Benefit levels will be based on the terms of the award in effect on the most recent hire date.


An employee hired prior to July 1, 1985 may work at least 20 hours but less than 35 hours per week and receive a prorated tuition payment.


Benefit will be continued through the term in which the layoff commences and continue for one additional academic term.

Resignation or Termination

Benefit will be continued through the term

University Leave of Absence

Benefit will be continued until the end of the term in which the leave of absence commences.

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Benefit will be continued while on FMLA.


Benefit will be continued at the rate received as an active employee.


Upon your retirement, your children retain eligibility for a CCTS whether or not they are receiving CCTS benefits at the time of your retirement.

Note: To retire, you must be 55 years or older and must have completed ten years of credited service at the university.


If you are CCTS eligible upon your death, your children will retain eligibility for a CCTS whether or not they are receiving CCTS benefits at that time.

Benefit Level

Your benefit level is determined by your date of hire at the university.

Date of Hire

Service Requirement

Maximum Scholarship

Benefit Level at Cornell

Benefit Level at Other Institutions for all Hire Dates

Prior to July 1, 1983

Currently eligible

10 semesters of undergraduate study or a bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first.

A maximum of 14 semesters, including 6 semesters of graduate education at Cornell.

100% of tuition, less administrative fees* (currently $9,980 per year)

CCTS pays 30% of the outside school’s tuition and fees. The minimum benefit amount is full tuition or $1,000 per academic year, whichever is less.

If the outside school’s tuition is greater than Cornell’s endowed tuition and fees, CCTS will pay 30% of Cornell’s endowed tuition and administrative fees.

No benefits are paid for graduate study at other institutions.

July 1, 1983 - June 30, 1985

Currently eligible

10 semesters of undergraduate study or a bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first.

A maximum of 14 semesters, including 6 semesters of graduate education at Cornell.

50% of tuition and administrative fees

July 1, 1985 – present

4 years of full-time service; part-time employees are not eligible**

10 semesters of undergraduate study or a bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first

Graduate study is not available.

50% of tuition and administrative fees

* Administrative fee policy as established/amended by the Board of Trustees on July 12, 1972.

** Effective 12/11/2014, the Board of Trustees amended the policy to allow part-time employees who have worked for at least 8 years to be considered for eligibility for this benefit. This affects those employees who are applying for the spring 2015 semester and forward.

 How to Apply

CCTS is a reimbursement program. You may therefore apply for CCTS benefits at any time by completing the following steps:

  1. Check to see if your student's school is accredited. Search for your school on the Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs.
  2. Complete one application per academic year. Select all terms your student will be attending for the academic year. Please note that the collection of the student's social security number is necessary in order to track the history of usage by the student within our database. It is never shared outside of the database.
    1. Online application (use with active NetID)
    2. Paper application (pdf) is available for retirees and those who do not have an active NetID.
  3. E-mail with any status changes (eg. the student changes schools or a change in parent information). Do not complete another application.

Application Process

For Cornell Students

Once your application has been reviewed and approved for eligibility:

  • CCTS notifies Financial Aid with the award amount for the academic year to credit to the student’s account;
  • You will receive notification that the award payment was made once the student is enrolled for at least six credits.  No further action by the employee or the student is required for that academic year;
  • Cornell students may receive benefits for summer/winter courses taken at Cornell, without prior authorization from the school or college granting the Cornell degree;
  • Cornell students may also receive benefits for summer/winter courses taken at another institution. Payments to outside schools are provided at 30% of the outside school’s tuition and fees. Contact for the form used for courses outside of Cornell.  Summer/winter credits are deducted from undergraduate semesters.

For Students Enrolled at Other Institutions

Once your application has been reviewed and approved for eligibility: 

  • You will receive an approval email with a blank Certification attached;
  • The email instructs you to keep the attachment as you will need to download it and give it to the school for each semester in that academic year that you want CCTS to make a payment;
  • You will need to complete the top portion and submit the Certification form to the school your student is attending, for completion;
  • Once the school sends the completed form back to you, it is your responsibility to submit the form to the HR Services and Transitions Center, 395 Pine Tree Road, Suite 110, Ithaca, NY 14850.  You can also fax it to 607-255-6873 or email:;
  • Submit only the certification for the current term the student is attending. Certification forms for future terms will not be accepted by the HR Services and Transitions Center  (i.e. do not submit both fall & spring certification forms at the same time);
  • Payments for CCTS awards cannot be made until the completed Certification form is received;
  • Once the payment has been approved, you will receive an email confirming the amount that will be sent to the school.  As indicated in the email notice, please allow 2-4 weeks for the school to receive the award;
  • CCTS is not responsible for late fees that may accrue due to the date of receipt of the CCTS payment.

Any changes to the student’s status during the year, should be emailed to

Benefit Payment

  • Cornell students of employees hired prior to July l, 1983 will receive an award equal to 100% tuition, less administrative fees *(currently set at $9,980 per year);
  • Cornell students of employees hired on or after July 1, 1983 will receive an award equal to half of the tuition and administrative fees;
  • Payments for a new academic year are made at the start of the new fiscal year (July 1).  Fall payments can begin being made at that time.  Spring awards are processed after Thanksgiving;
  • In order for awards to be made to outside schools, a completed CCTS Certification must be submitted to Cornell's HR Services and Transitions Center;
  • The CCTS award is received by schools as student aid; therefore, the award may reduce other federal aid, e.g. Pell awards, workstudy.  The school may also reduce/cancel grant money based on their school policy. Families should contact the college their student is considering, to find out what the policy is for adjusting the student’s aid package with the CCTS award.

A CCTS payment is always made directly to the institution.

  • When a student is attending an institution other than Cornell, the plan does not make payments until the completed CCTS Certification Form is received by the HR Services and Transition Center.
  • Colleges may require a student to pay tuition and fees at the time of registration.  You may want to discuss if the school will waive the portion that CCTS will provide;
  • The student’s college will reimburse the student after it has received payment from Cornell if there is a credit on the student’s account.
  • The CCTS plan does not provide direct reimbursement to you or the student.
  • CCTS is a reimbursement plan, not a prepayment.

Please be aware that the CCTS award cannot be posted to a student's Cornell bursar account until they are enrolled for at least six credits during the fall and/or spring semesters.

You or the student must notify the institution and the HR Services and Transitions Center if a student’s attendance plans change. If the CCTS payment is made, the full term will be deducted from the total semesters of eligibility unless you or the institution reimburse the CCTS plan.

Payments can be made for courses taken prior to matriculation.  We would need a letter/email from the degree granting school, confirming the semester and number of credits that they are accepting as part of the student’s degree program.  The student should confirm with the prior school that they will accept a retroactive payment.  Some schools do not as they have been audited and that academic year closed.  

CCTS benefits will only be coordinated with other scholarships or awards that must be applied to tuition. Awards that can be used for other purposes (books, room & board, living expenses), such as the PELL Grant, will not be considered. The amount of the CCTS benefit will be reduced only if the combined payment from CCTS and the other award (TAP, Excelsior, ROTC scholarships, or scholarships awarded solely for tuition costs) exceeds the total cost of tuition and fees.

* Administrative fee policy as established/amended by the Board of Trustees on July 12, 1972.

Tax Information


The CCTS benefit is generally not taxable if it covers undergraduate education; however, under the Internal Revenue Code, the child must be a natural, adopted, foster or stepchild and a dependent. For tax purposes, a child is a dependent if you provide more than half of the child's support. In short, a child can be a dependent even if he/she does not qualify as an exemption on your tax return. In the event of divorced or separated parents, if either of the parents can pass the support test, BOTH parents pass it.

If you indicate that the student is not your dependent, these additional taxes will be deducted from your paycheck during the semester in which the award is made using the withholding rate determined by your completed W4 form on file in payroll.

Retirees with a taxable value will receive a 1099 at the end of the calendar year.

All taxes will apply to the benefits paid for the children of an employee's domestic partner. State taxes will not be applied to the benefit paid for the children of the same-sex spouse who was married in NYS and can provide a marriage license (this also applies to other qualified same-sex marriages).

Visit the Department of Financial Affairs for details on taxes.


Benefits for graduate CCTS are taxable. The CCTS award and withholding will be reflected on your annual wage and tax statement (W-2) if you are an active employee. The net value of the award will be reflected on the student's bursar account. Graduate CCTS must be completed at Cornell and only employees hired prior to July 1, 1985 are eligible to receive this CCTS benefit.

Visit the Department of Financial Affairs for details.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I complete an online application for each semester?

An online application is completed once for the entire academic year.  Check off the semesters in which you would like reimbursement during that    academic year.  If there are any changes to the student’s status, please email and the changes will be made on the original application submitted.

How does the outside school get paid by CCTS?

Once you are approved for the benefit, you will receive an approval email from CCTS.  The email consists of an attachment and complete instructions, part of which directs you to keep the email or save the attachment to your desktop as you will need to download, complete the top portion and submit it to the     school for each semester you wish reimbursement.   It also instructs you to only send one form at a time. Do not send Certifications for multiple semesters.

Do we pay the tuition that is due, or will the school waive the 30% until they receive CCTS?

CCTS is a reimbursement plan, not a prepayment.  You should ask the school if they will waive the 30% amount expected from CCTS and allow you to only pay the difference.  Keep in mind that CCTS is not responsible for late fees incurred due to the date the CCTS award is received by the school. 

How soon am I eligible?

Eligibility begins on your four-year, full-time anniversary date. For CCTS purposes, the academic year starts as of July 1 and ends June 30. If you become eligible during an academic semester, your CCTS benefit will begin with the onset of the following semester (i.e. if eligibility occurs after January 1, full eligibility begins as of July 1; if eligibility occurs after July 1, full eligibility begins as of January 1).

Is there an age or marital status limit?

There is no age or marital status limit. However, the benefit may be taxable if your student is no longer a dependent. The maximum benefit is based on your date of hire. Refer to benefit level chart.

I have two (or more) children. Would both be eligible?

Yes, as long as each meet the eligibility requirements of the scholarship.

My spouse/domestic partner and I are both Cornell employees. Does this mean that our child would receive the benefit through both of us?

If both parents are employed by Cornell (as either faculty and/or staff) and are eligible to receive CCTS benefit, a child may receive only one parent’s benefit. However, if their benefits differ based on date of hire eligibility, they may select the higher benefit amount for Cornell.

My parent and I are both eligible for CCTS. What type(s) of assistance can I receive?

As an employee, you are eligible to use Tuition Aid Reimbursement and as the child of an eligible employee, you may be eligible to receive the CCTS benefit if you are enrolled in at least 6 credits during the academic semester. The combination of both benefits cannot exceed the maximum CCTS benefit for the term.

Are benefits available for step-children?

Yes, step-children become eligible on the day of the marriage and the benefit level is dependent on the hire date of the employee.

What happens to eligibility for children upon divorce?

Benefits for biological/adopted children of Cornell employee continue.
Legal Separation: Benefits continue.
Benefits for stepchildren will end at the end of the term in which the divorce is finalized.
Domestic Partnership: Benefits will end at the end of the term in which the partnership terminates.

Are courses taken in an Advanced Placement Program at Cornell eligible for CCTS?

Yes, retroactively. Application should be made after the student has been accepted for enrollment in a degree-granting institution. Payments are made retroactively upon receipt of written verification from the institution indicating that the credits will be applied toward the student’s degree. Reimbursement will be obtained through the Office of the Bursar.The Advanced Placement credits received are converted to a percentage of a semester and that percentage will be deducted from the number of semesters of CCTS eligibility.

What if my employment status changes?

If you experience a life change such as a layoff or leave, please contact HR Services & Transitions Center to understand how your eligibility might change.

What is the benefit for Part-Time Study?

A CCTS is pro-rated using twelve (12) credit hours as a minimum full-time load. Students must be enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours during the academic semester to be eligible.

What about summer/winter session courses?

Cornell students may receive benefits for summer/winter courses taken at Cornell. Cornell students may also receive benefits for summer/winter courses taken at another institution. Payments to outside schools are provided at 30 percent of the outside school’s tuition and fees. Summer/winter credits are deducted from undergraduate semesters.

What about study abroad?

Cornell and non-Cornell students may receive benefits for credits in a study abroad program.  Prior approval is not necessary in order to receive CCTS.  Please contact to notify CCTS of the program the student will attend.

Will CCTS be reduced by other scholarships the student receives?

Only those scholarships that specifically state they cover tuition or fees are coordinated with CCTS; meaning that CCTS benefits will be reduced only if the combined payment from CCTS and the other scholarships exceeds the total cost of tuition and required fees.

What is TAP and how does it affect CCTS?

TAP is the Tuition Assistance Program administered by the New York State Higher Education Corporation. CCTS benefits will be coordinated only if the combined payment from TAP and CCTS exceed the total cost of tuition and required fees.

2023 Virtual Workshop Recording 

Presentation Slides

Video Transcript

00:00:00,200 --> 00:00:03,960
My name is Michelle La Fave and I am a 
benefits associate in the health and  

00:00:03,960 --> 00:00:11,040
welfare section of the, Benefits and Service 
Administration here at Cornell. you are in  

00:00:11,040 --> 00:00:15,880
the Cornell's Children Tuition Scholarship 
Workshop, and we're going to provide some  

00:00:15,880 --> 00:00:22,320
information on the benefit that's available 
to Cornell employees for their children who are attending college.

00:00:22,320 --> 00:00:28,672
Our agenda for today. I'm going to give you an overview of the benefit, give you eligibility requirements. So how

00:00:28,672 --> 00:00:33,463
someone becomes eligible both as an employee and the child of an employee.

00:00:33,463 --> 00:00:40,280
How you would apply for the CCTS benefit. How the payments are made and calculated. I'll let you know if  

00:00:40,280 --> 00:00:45,413
there are tax implications that come with 
the benefit. And there are some based on,  

00:00:45,413 --> 00:00:50,280
the qualifications, if you have any employment 
changes. I'll give you information on how  

00:00:50,280 --> 00:00:56,585
those may and could affect the benefit. 
And then some question and answer... some frequently answered questions.  

00:00:56,585 --> 00:01:02,889
I'll just... provide to you the answers to. So maybe that's something that you're questioning and you'll get the answer right here.

00:01:02,889 --> 00:01:16,200
So our CCTS benefit was adopted by the Board of Trustees back in January of 1966. And 
the benefit provides children of Cornell employees  

00:01:16,200 --> 00:01:23,520
with a partial scholarship, either for study at 
Cornell or at another accredited institution. Now,  

00:01:23,520 --> 00:01:32,440
there were some board amendments made over time. Back in 2009, the eligibility requirement was  

00:01:32,440 --> 00:01:38,000
opened up to part time employees as it was only 
available to full time employees prior to that,  

00:01:38,000 --> 00:01:48,296
and then also anyone coming from an institution 
prior to Cornell that had a benefit that was similar were allowed to use the CCTS benefit

00:01:48,296 --> 00:01:57,920
Also in December of 2014, there was another amendment adopted where newly hired staff or returning staff to Cornell may  

00:01:57,920 --> 00:02:05,760
have credit if they weren't Cornell before. And 
then students, of employees who had a medical  

00:02:05,760 --> 00:02:12,148
condition which precluded them for completing a 
standard degree were permitted to do a certificate or a diploma. 

00:02:14,129 --> 00:02:20,827
Now, one very important thing that we need to point out is the CCTS benefit is a reimbursement program. 

00:02:20,827 --> 00:02:27,360
So while we make every effort to make the payments and process the applications and certifications  

00:02:27,360 --> 00:02:33,320
prior to when your bill becomes due, please 
note that it made you may be required to pay  

00:02:33,320 --> 00:02:40,266
and then be reimbursed for, the benefit if 
the payment isn't received prior to wanted to do at the University.

00:02:42,585 --> 00:02:52,440
So let's take some time to talk about who becomes eligible. So if you are Cornell employee, in a full time or a benefits,  

00:02:52,440 --> 00:02:57,680
part time benefits eligible position, you 
are moving towards eligibility for the CCTS  

00:02:57,680 --> 00:03:04,920
requirement. Now, the eligibility is based on date 
as noted here. So if you're hired prior to 1985,  

00:03:04,920 --> 00:03:12,044
you're obviously eligible. the requirement now is a four year requirement for benefits eligible employees, 

00:03:12,044 --> 00:03:19,200
and you can either be in a full time benefits eligible position for four years or the equivalent with part time  

00:03:19,200 --> 00:03:24,160
employment. And that's determined by our office. 
So if you are working in a part time capacity in  

00:03:24,160 --> 00:03:32,445
a benefits eligible position, please contact us and we can let you know if, if and when you become eligible for the benefit.

00:03:33,631 --> 00:03:42,600
Now, your children or your child would become eligible for the benefit as a natural born child, an adopted child or a stepchild,  

00:03:42,600 --> 00:03:47,080
a domestic partner or child. And we ask that 
you have a domestic partnership agreement on  

00:03:47,080 --> 00:03:52,720
file with Cornell to certify that you are domestic 
partners, or if you have a foster child who has  

00:03:52,720 --> 00:03:59,440
been living in your home and you've supported 
for at least five years, you would be able to apply for this benefit.

00:03:59,440 --> 00:04:07,040
So how do you apply? So the benefit information and application is located on our website which is listed here.  

00:04:07,040 --> 00:04:12,640
The application opens in April of the academic 
year. So for instance this academic year which  

00:04:12,640 --> 00:04:22,132
is the 2024-2025 academic year, the applications 
will open next week beginning of April. It will likely be midweek, April 3rd,

00:04:22,132 --> 00:04:29,308
so just look out for that. It's not going to pop open on the 1st of April, but the first week of April, we will make the application available.  

00:04:30,000 --> 00:04:36,360
You only need to submit one application 
per year. So the academic year runs summer, fall,

00:04:36,360 --> 00:04:42,000
winter, spring. And so when your child has been 
accepted into a college or they're continuing  

00:04:42,000 --> 00:04:48,339
into the next year of their college, you just 
need to go on to our website and submit the application one time per year. 

00:04:48,978 --> 00:04:54,040
If there are any changes that occur after you submit that application. Let's say your child changes  

00:04:54,040 --> 00:04:58,840
schools. You just need to contact our office 
so we can make that change in the file. You do  

00:04:58,840 --> 00:05:03,078
not need to submit a new application 
for that change to be recorded. 

00:05:04,311 --> 00:05:10,000
Now, if the child who's attending, and they have 
a qualified parent at Cornell, that parent is  

00:05:10,000 --> 00:05:17,366
deceased or retired and there's no longer access 
to our workday system through the active net ID, then there is the website.

00:05:17,366 --> 00:05:26,120
Our website also contains the form that you can use to download, fill out, and return to our 
office so that we can put the application on file  

00:05:26,120 --> 00:05:31,720
for that academic year. And again, that paper file 
is only used for someone who does not have access  

00:05:31,720 --> 00:05:41,681
to the workday system and their net ID otherwise, 
we're expecting that you use our website to go ahead and make that application, how the payment is made.

00:05:41,681 --> 00:05:47,480
So if your child is attending Cornell, the payment is processed directly through the financial aid office from

00:05:47,480 --> 00:05:53,880
our office. So we send them information and they 
will apply that payment to your child's account.  

00:05:53,880 --> 00:05:58,960
If your child is attending a school outside of 
Cornell, we process the application. And once that  

00:05:58,960 --> 00:06:07,259
application is approved, you're going to receive 
an email with the certification form that needs to be filled out and instructions on how to do so.

00:06:07,259 --> 00:06:14,760
So the form will be filled out. Part one by the employee and then part two by the school, which gives us the information for the  

00:06:14,760 --> 00:06:20,240
semester. And then we would process the payment 
and send it to the school. Now please be aware  

00:06:20,240 --> 00:06:27,504
that payments are made directly to the school. 
So payments cannot be made to an employee. They cannot be made to a child.  

00:06:27,504 --> 00:06:34,280
All payments are made directly to the school the child is attending. And then if let's say you have made the payment already,  

00:06:34,280 --> 00:06:39,000
you can work with the school to either receive 
reimbursement or apply to a future bill. But  

00:06:39,000 --> 00:06:45,800
no payments can be made directly to an employee or 
to the child. All payments are made to the school.  

00:06:45,800 --> 00:06:50,520
The CCTS form, which you'll receive for outside 
schools, needs to be submitted every semester,  

00:06:50,520 --> 00:06:56,360
so the application is done online, but this 
form itself must be submitted every semester  

00:06:56,360 --> 00:07:03,208
so that we know the child is attending and the 
fact that forms may be different because of different courses being taken. 

00:07:03,208 --> 00:07:10,000
The fall forms are processed after January... after July 1st. I'm sorry. So if your child is attending in the fall of 2024,  

00:07:10,000 --> 00:07:14,520
let's say we ask that once your child is 
matriculated and completely registered,  

00:07:14,520 --> 00:07:20,440
that form is returned to us. We can accept forms 
at any point, but we want to have the final form  

00:07:20,440 --> 00:07:27,519
with final enrollment because we want to make sure 
that we capture all fees and anything that may be included for that semester.

00:07:27,519 --> 00:07:32,760
If your child's attending in the spring, those awards are processed after Thanksgiving and sent to  

00:07:32,760 --> 00:07:37,840
the school. So again, like the fall, please 
hold the form. have the school fill it out  

00:07:37,840 --> 00:07:44,480
once your child is enrolled in classes so we can make sure to pick up all the expenses for that semester  

00:07:44,480 --> 00:07:53,560
So how are the payments calculated? So here is  where your date of hire matters. I don't know that 
we have many people falling in the first category,  

00:07:53,560 --> 00:07:59,680
but if you're hired prior to July 1st of 
1983 and your child is attending Cornell,  

00:07:59,680 --> 00:08:07,231
you're going to receive 100% of tuition minus 
the administrative fees. So those administrative fees are about $10,000,

00:08:07,231 --> 00:08:19,880
right now, they're $9,980 for the academic year. And your award would be minus those fees at 100% if you're hired after July 1st, 1983,  

00:08:19,880 --> 00:08:24,080
like most people are, don't expect there's 
many that fall in the first category and  

00:08:24,080 --> 00:08:31,240
your child is attending Cornell. You will 
receive 50% tuition towards the CCTS benefit,  

00:08:31,240 --> 00:08:36,400
and that does that. Administrative fee that's pointed out in the prior situation is also included. 

00:08:36,400 --> 00:08:41,705
So there's no exclusion of that fee. You receive 50% of tuition if your child's attending. Cornell. 

00:08:41,705 --> 00:08:49,360
If you have a child who is attending an institution outside of Cornell, Cornell provides 30% of the tuition and  

00:08:49,360 --> 00:08:58,473
applicable fees. that apply for that child for the 
semester, for the year. note we do not cover room and board, we do not cover books, 

00:08:58,473 --> 00:09:04,120
we do not cover travel. There are other things people do put on that certification form. And just so everyone's aware,  

00:09:04,120 --> 00:09:09,400
room and board are not covered. those types of 
things are not covered. We only cover tuition  

00:09:09,400 --> 00:09:14,680
and applicable mandatory fees. And those fees 
could be course fees. If someone's taking a  

00:09:14,680 --> 00:09:24,720
biology course and there's a biology fee, it 
includes matriculation fees, ID card fees, anything that apply to all or most students, and it's considered mandatory. 

00:09:24,720 --> 00:09:30,600
Now note there is a cap. There's a maximum for the benefit. So if your child is attending a  

00:09:30,600 --> 00:09:37,360
institution that has a pretty high tuition costs, 
we will take that tuition costs into account and  

00:09:37,360 --> 00:09:47,180
calculate 30% of it. If it's higher than Cornell's 
tuition by 30%, we're going to pay the maximum, which is 30% of Cornell's endowed tuition. 

00:09:47,180 --> 00:09:56,520
So for the... this current academic year, not going into the next, that amount is about $9,870 per semester, which  

00:09:56,520 --> 00:10:02,200
is 30% of Cornell's endowed tuition. So just note 
that there's a maximum that is imposed if your  

00:10:02,200 --> 00:10:10,653
child is attending a college outside of Cornell. 
Now, one of the big questions people ask is, what if my child is receiving funding?  

00:10:10,653 --> 00:10:18,880
What if I'm getting other scholarships? CCTS is considered and would like to be the last funding source. That's how our,  

00:10:18,880 --> 00:10:23,640
program is written. And so we ask that 
schools, when they receive our funds,  

00:10:23,640 --> 00:10:30,120
apply it. That's when we get the forms that lists 
what other scholarships are being given. We do  

00:10:30,120 --> 00:10:34,640
consider anything that's tuition based. So if 
your child is receiving funding and that money  

00:10:34,640 --> 00:10:40,800
can only be used towards tuition, we do consider 
that in our calculation, if they're receiving  

00:10:40,800 --> 00:10:47,891
something like Pell or a Grant that can be used 
for anything which may include room and board, then we do not consider that funding. 

00:10:47,891 --> 00:10:55,680
So we ask that the school specify and lists only tuition based funding so that we can provide the most funding that Cornell can apply.

00:10:55,712 --> 00:11:01,058
Alright, so let's get into the tax implications, which aren't applying to all,

00:11:01,058 --> 00:11:07,600
but we do need to touch base and let you know what happens if you are eligible for a tax. if you're going  

00:11:07,600 --> 00:11:12,760
to be taxed on the benefit. So as you can see, if 
your child is completing an undergraduate degree,  

00:11:12,760 --> 00:11:22,697
the degree is not taxable as long as the child is 
your dependent and you are, a Cornell employee, the undergraduate tax benefit is not taxable. 

00:11:22,697 --> 00:11:31,760
Now, if you do not provide 50% or more of your child's living expense and it's the other parent,  

00:11:31,760 --> 00:11:37,160
whether you're married or not, separated, whatever 
your status may be, does not provide 50%, then the  

00:11:37,160 --> 00:11:42,480
child is not considered a dependent. And so that 
benefit, even if it's an undergraduate benefit,  

00:11:42,480 --> 00:11:50,595
would be taxed. An example of this is, you have a child who took three years off after they graduated from high school,

00:11:50,595 --> 00:11:59,440
now they do not live with you any longer. You're not providing their living expenses. That benefit 
would be taxable to you through payroll. Another,  

00:11:59,440 --> 00:12:05,480
tax implication group is anyone who's filing 
the benefit for a domestic partner's child.  

00:12:05,480 --> 00:12:10,520
So if you were not married to your significant 
other, you're just domestic partners and you are filing for that child.

00:12:14,920 --> 00:12:21,840
The benefit of funding will be considered as taxable and you would be taxed through payroll. Now if you are retired,  

00:12:21,840 --> 00:12:26,040
which the benefit does apply to retirees, of 
course. Now if you're retired and have met the  

00:12:26,040 --> 00:12:33,807
eligibility and the child is not your dependent, 
then you will be taxed. And that tax amount would be reported on a 1099.

00:12:33,807 --> 00:12:39,709
So you would still receive documentation, for tax purposes of the benefit. 

00:12:39,709 --> 00:12:46,400
Now the graduate level CCTS
is a taxable benefit, but this is only, available  

00:12:46,400 --> 00:12:53,240
to employees who were hired prior to July 1st 
of 1985. So if you do fall into that category,  

00:12:53,240 --> 00:13:03,961
your child can do the graduate level. can received 
graduate level funding. But no, the benefit is only available for degree programs at Cornell.

00:13:03,961 --> 00:13:15,354
So there is some tax implications for the various elements of but firm mostly and most of the employment employees. Sorry. it is not taxable.

00:13:15,354 --> 00:13:23,280
So employment changes, if you have an employment change while you're at Cornell. So you've met the benefit eligibility of four  

00:13:23,280 --> 00:13:30,337
years in a full time position or the equivalent 
for part time in a benefits eligible position, and you've had a change.

00:13:30,337 --> 00:13:35,720
So you go on long term disability or short term disability. You're on a leave without pay. We ask that  

00:13:35,720 --> 00:13:42,000
you visit our website, see if your, status change 
is listed there, and you'll see what the benefit  

00:13:42,000 --> 00:13:47,720
changes. If it's not available or there is some 
element to your situation that's different,  

00:13:47,720 --> 00:13:54,376
please contact our office and we can help point 
you in the right direction and provide information on your eligibility for the benefit. 

00:13:54,376 --> 00:14:02,200
So people ask,  how soon am I eligible? So if you're hired, as I mentioned prior to June 30th of 1985,  

00:14:02,200 --> 00:14:10,120
you're eligible now. if you're eligible, if your 
hire date falls between July 1st of '85 and after,  

00:14:10,120 --> 00:14:16,640
you have to complete four years of full time 
benefits, eligible employment or eight year  

00:14:16,640 --> 00:14:24,172
equivalent of part time employment, or longer over the period of time to become eligible for the benefit.  

00:14:24,172 --> 00:14:30,360
And again, please note you must be in a benefits eligible position. So some people have been in temporary positions  

00:14:30,360 --> 00:14:35,560
for a while and started then a part time position 
or sorry, a full time position. That's a benefits  

00:14:35,560 --> 00:14:46,064
eligible position. We can only count the benefits 
eligible. Period. So your eligibility is based on being in a benefits eligible position.

00:14:46,064 --> 00:14:54,240
Another question is there an age limit or a marital status exception? And the answer is no to both. So there is no age limit  

00:14:54,240 --> 00:15:00,080
on when your when you can apply for that benefit 
for your child or the marital status. They can be  

00:15:00,080 --> 00:15:08,222
married. But note that if the child once again is 
not your dependent, you will be taxed on a benefit either through payroll or through a 1099.

00:15:08,222 --> 00:15:14,334
So that's something to consider with the age or marital status. If they're not your dependent. 

00:15:14,334 --> 00:15:22,720
If I have two or more children, would both be eligible? Yes. So all children, as noted on the prior slide, whether natural children  

00:15:22,720 --> 00:15:27,880
adopted foster children are eligible for the 
benefit, does not matter how many kids you have,  

00:15:27,880 --> 00:15:36,733
they are all eligible. and you would apply for the benefit the same way you would, for one child or for many.

00:15:36,733 --> 00:15:44,440
So my spouse or domestic partner and I are both Cornell employees, does this mean that our child will receive the benefit from both  

00:15:44,440 --> 00:15:52,040
through both of us? unfortunately, answer is no. 
So you may both have eligibility. but the child  

00:15:52,040 --> 00:16:01,722
can only be applied from one parent. So we would 
say that the parent with the better benefit, let's say you one parent is hired prior to 1985,

00:16:01,722 --> 00:16:09,720
one parent is hired sooner. We would say that the the benefit eligible parent who has the better benefit can  

00:16:09,720 --> 00:16:15,680
apply. But either can apply. You just cannot both 
apply for the same child in the same academic  

00:16:15,680 --> 00:16:24,784
year. one application will be rejected and you 
would only receive funding through one parent, so you couldn't double it up, unfortunately.  

00:16:24,784 --> 00:16:30,920
So how can I determine which educational 
institutions are eligible for the benefit?  

00:16:30,920 --> 00:16:36,600
We do have a website here, or you can contact 
our office and note this presentation will be  

00:16:36,600 --> 00:16:41,400
recorded and posted on our website, but 
I will also, within the next few days,  

00:16:41,400 --> 00:16:49,114
provide these slides to you who have attended and 
registered for the webinar so that you have this information and can refer back.

00:16:49,114 --> 00:16:55,600
But if you do have any questions on the school your child is attending, you can either visit this website or you can contact our office  

00:16:55,600 --> 00:16:59,381
and we'll let you know if it's eligible. What is the benefit...

00:16:59,381 --> 00:17:05,280
What is the benefit for part time study? so 
if your child is not attending full time,  

00:17:05,280 --> 00:17:11,160
so they're taking less than a full time credit 
load for this semester's. So you can only make  

00:17:11,160 --> 00:17:17,899
payment in the fall and spring semesters. 
If your child is taking at least six credits in each semester.  

00:17:17,899 --> 00:17:25,960
So we can pay for six credits in the fall, six credits in the spring, anything up to full time. But, they have to take at least  

00:17:25,960 --> 00:17:32,040
six credits in those semesters to fall in spring. 
If your child is enrolled part time in the spring  

00:17:32,040 --> 00:17:39,766
and sorry, in the summer or the winter semesters, 
there is no credit. minimum we can make payments towards summer and winter semesters, 

00:17:39,766 --> 00:17:46,720
it's only the fall and spring that have a six semester 
credit limit or minimum. Sorry,... 

00:17:46,720 --> 00:17:54,000
Is there a deadline for the CCTS benefit? There 
is no deadline per se, so we can process retro  

00:17:54,000 --> 00:17:59,520
applications. Anything that happens after current 
before current day. So if your child attends four  

00:17:59,520 --> 00:18:08,073
years of college and you're holding on to it, we can process those four years of applications and certifications at any point.  

00:18:08,073 --> 00:18:14,000
But please note that you should contact the school your child is attending to make sure the funds can be received. So,  

00:18:14,000 --> 00:18:19,760
as mentioned any CCTS payments are made directly 
to the school, we cannot make the payment to you.  

00:18:19,760 --> 00:18:24,320
We cannot make the payment to the student. So if 
you're submitting applications after the student  

00:18:24,320 --> 00:18:30,160
has completed education, or a year after, you need 
to check with the school to make sure that they  

00:18:30,160 --> 00:18:38,503
can accept and process the funds and reimburse 
you for them because some schools may close their academic year after a period of time.

00:18:38,503 --> 00:18:44,520
So it's going to be important if you're holding or if something happened prior to the current academic year that you contact the  

00:18:44,520 --> 00:18:49,800
school to make sure the funds can be accepted 
from Cornell and then processed, you also have  

00:18:49,800 --> 00:18:58,727
to consider, if you hold applications or you're 
submitting applications after study is completed, if your child is no longer

00:18:58,727 --> 00:19:01,192
a dependent of you, the benefit becomes taxable. 

00:19:01,192 --> 00:19:07,603
So if you're submitting after your child has graduated, your child has moved out. You don't provide 50% of living expenses  

00:19:07,640 --> 00:19:14,280
for them. Then the benefit becomes taxable for 
all the years you submit. And so because it's  

00:19:14,280 --> 00:19:20,820
processed in this current year when the child is 
not a dependent, you will be taxed on the benefit. So that's something to consider,  

00:19:20,820 --> 00:19:24,232
if you don't file within the current semesters attendance.

00:19:24,232 --> 00:19:31,440
Can CCTS payments be made retroactively if the if the term is and the year is completed? Yes. But as I noted, you have

00:19:31,440 --> 00:19:40,301
to make sure that the institution can accept the 
funds and the child is tax benefit is tax. If the child is no longer you're dependent.  

00:19:40,301 --> 00:19:48,480
Will CCTS be reduced... be reduced by the scholarship the student is receiving> Yes. And that is only if that  

00:19:48,480 --> 00:19:53,360
scholarship or other funding is for tuition 
only. So if it can be used to other benefits,  

00:19:53,360 --> 00:19:58,960
costs would not be reduced. But if it is 
for tuition only, we have to, take that  

00:19:58,960 --> 00:20:05,640
into account when we make the calculation and 
we'll make it and make as much of the CCTS payment as we can towards tuition.

00:20:05,640 --> 00:20:09,920
Does the CCTS benefit reduce your employee parental,  

00:20:09,920 --> 00:20:14,840
your the employee's parental contribution or 
the expected family contribution? The answer  

00:20:14,840 --> 00:20:20,200
is yes. It could be possible. So we ask that you 
contact the financial aid of the institution your  

00:20:20,200 --> 00:20:25,920
child is attending, just to get an understanding 
of the fact that you are receiving funding from  

00:20:25,920 --> 00:20:32,249
your employer, or could that make a difference on 
what the eligibility is for the financial aid and the contribution amount?

00:20:32,249 --> 00:20:41,080
These questions are listed on our website and information on the benefit as noted. So if you, want to, you can visit our website to get some information.

00:20:41,080 --> 00:20:50,840
So just as a close up, just an important reminders about the CCTS benefit. The CCTS benefit is a reimbursement program. So while  

00:20:50,840 --> 00:20:56,960
we make an effort to make payments as quickly 
as we can, once we start processing forms and  

00:20:56,960 --> 00:21:08,158
as forms are received, we know that if you need to 
make the payment prior to the date of due payment, we'll make the payment to university,

00:21:08,158 --> 00:21:14,680
but you may have to be reimbursed for that payment. So we are a reimbursement 
program. We make every effort to make payments.  

00:21:14,680 --> 00:21:22,510
But sometimes if we don't get the payment in, you 
are responsible to make the payments. CCTS does not cover late fees, unfortunately.

00:21:22,510 --> 00:21:32,326
Your eligibility and the benefit amount are based on your date of hire. So depending on when you are hired, you will receive a different level of benefit.

00:21:32,326 --> 00:21:40,519
50% towards Cornell and 30% towards outside 
schools. It is, most applicable to most people at this point.

00:21:40,519 --> 00:21:46,440
One application is required for the academic year. So the online application that's done,  

00:21:46,440 --> 00:21:51,240
prior to the child starting for the academic year 
has to be done. Only one time you would visit our  

00:21:51,240 --> 00:21:57,909
website, submit the application. if your child is 
attending Cornell, we will process the payments through Cornell directly.  

00:21:57,909 --> 00:22:07,200
If your child is attending a university outside of Cornell, you will receive a certification form 
to be completed and we can process the payment.  

00:22:07,200 --> 00:22:13,080
Certification forms are needed each semester. And 
people ask, Will they attended last semester? Why  

00:22:13,080 --> 00:22:21,270
are we sending another form? the enrollment may 
change. Your child may be taking a course that now has a fee, which they didn't have before. 

00:22:21,270 --> 00:22:27,040
Some of the mandatory fees may change depending on the semester. Some may be paid once a semester  

00:22:27,040 --> 00:22:32,440
to the spring semester form. Wouldn't have those 
fees. we're just trying to get an accurate picture  

00:22:32,440 --> 00:22:44,972
of the tuition so we can make, the payment 
of 30%. There is a maximum impulse, as noted, of 30% of Cornell's endowed tuition.

00:22:44,972 --> 00:22:51,520
So we have some universities, Columbia, Brown, who sometimes have a tuition that's a little bit higher  

00:22:51,520 --> 00:22:58,601
than Cornell. And so we make a payment 
of a maximum of 30% of Cornell's endowed tuition for the year. 

00:22:58,601 --> 00:23:07,277
There is no graduate level paid, um for institutions outside of Cornell. And again, that graduate level benefit is only applied to a certain handful,

00:23:07,277 --> 00:23:17,360
those hired before, July 1st of 1983. So if you are on the call or listening to this and you do have a child who is,  

00:23:17,360 --> 00:23:23,240
eligible for that benefit, you can contact 
our office. Note, the benefit is taxable if it does apply to you. 

00:23:23,240 --> 00:23:28,800
Alright, and that brings us towards the end of the presentation. So there are some questions in the Q&A.  

00:23:28,800 --> 00:23:34,280
I will answer those questions. give a recap 
if needed. but please note our resources so  

00:23:34,280 --> 00:23:44,391
you can visit our website listed here, and get 
information on the CCTS benefit. You can send an email to the CCTS mailbox.  

00:23:44,391 --> 00:23:52,520
It's, and we do try to respond within 2 to 3 days of receiving it. There sometimes can be  

00:23:52,520 --> 00:23:57,440
a delay, so we apologize. But we do try to 
make Chris give give responses as quickly as  

00:23:57,440 --> 00:24:04,179
we can. Or you can. Feel free to contact me 
directly. So here's my contact information, my email and my phone number. 

00:24:04,179 --> 00:24:08,912
If you have any questions, you can feel free to reach out and I will respond to you.

00:24:08,912 --> 00:24:15,680
So we're going to get to the Q&A. Answer any questions anyone may have had. one question that's coming in.  

00:24:15,680 --> 00:24:20,560
How long was an employee work in order for 
their child to gain financial assistance?  

00:24:20,560 --> 00:24:29,793
So if you are in a full time benefits eligible position, for at least four years, you will qualify for the benefit.  

00:24:29,793 --> 00:24:35,760
if you are in a part time benefit benefits eligible 
position, we will calculate based on  

00:24:35,760 --> 00:24:43,480
that part time on the part time employment, 
how and when you will be eligible for this  

00:24:43,480 --> 00:24:50,588
benefit. But in both cases, you must be in a 
benefits eligible position in order to take advantage of the benefit. 

00:24:50,588 --> 00:24:53,240
Okay. So they're asking the question if they're  

00:24:53,240 --> 00:24:59,240
required to live on campus is 50% of funding so 
considered for the child? Yes. So if your child  

00:24:59,240 --> 00:25:06,471
is a freshman living on campus, sophomore living 
on campus, you are still providing 50% of their living tuition, their living costs.

00:25:06,471 --> 00:25:11,800
And so the benefit would not be taxable to you. That's if the child has gone out on their own. They're  

00:25:11,800 --> 00:25:17,065
living on their own. But if there are Cornell 
students attending Cornell, they would still be considered your dependent.  

00:25:17,065 --> 00:25:26,152
We have another question. I work seven plus years at a SUNY institution before Cornell. What institution does the office except for carry over years?

00:25:26,152 --> 00:25:35,920
So I'm going to ask you to send me an email. My email is Please send me an 
email and we can discuss, the eligibility based on  

00:25:35,920 --> 00:25:38,952
prior, employment at an institution.

00:25:38,952 --> 00:25:43,920
Another question that has come in. There's a cost benefit work with Excelsior if the student is attending a  

00:25:43,920 --> 00:25:49,170
city school. So in past years, we did consider Excelsior because it is also tuition based,

00:25:49,170 --> 00:25:56,800
but now we do not consider it. So if there is excelsior being given to the student and, we consider that as something  

00:25:56,800 --> 00:26:03,894
that can apply to anything. And so we don't 
use that calculation when we calculate what the state's payment may be.   

00:26:03,894 --> 00:26:10,560
Let's see. So a question when are the certification forms due prior to each semester. So certification forms  

00:26:10,560 --> 00:26:18,400
can be accepted at any point. So if you have the 
completed form prior to the start of the semester,  

00:26:18,400 --> 00:26:22,920
with all the child's enrollment correct, 
you can submit the form. We will hold it  

00:26:22,920 --> 00:26:29,750
in our system and then process the 
form after July 1st for the fall, after Thanksgiving, for the spring.

00:26:29,750 --> 00:26:36,800
And you can feel free to follow up with us if there is some gap in time between 
receipt of the form and us processing the form,  

00:26:36,800 --> 00:26:41,920
but we can accept the form at any point in 
the semester. Just note that because it's  

00:26:41,920 --> 00:26:47,400
a reimbursement program, and if you submit it 
later prior, probably you will have finance fees,  

00:26:47,400 --> 00:26:53,629
CCTS does not make payment towards any late or 
finance charges applied to the account, so we can accept it at any point,

00:26:53,629 --> 00:26:57,952
we just don't make any late payments if it's after a certain period for the child.

00:26:57,952 --> 00:27:08,120
Is there a limit of students? Cornell allows for this benefit, and I don't know that I understand the question. if you  

00:27:08,120 --> 00:27:12,400
want to clarify the question. So the question 
asks is, is there a limit of students Cornell  

00:27:12,400 --> 00:27:21,776
allows for this benefit? I will say broadly, no. 
So if you're an employee of Cornell, you qualify, you are able to gain the benefit.

00:27:21,776 --> 00:27:30,000
If you want to ask the question a different way, I'll get back to it. Or you can feel free to contact me directly and I will answer the question.

00:27:30,000 --> 00:27:36,280
Another question that has come in, does the tuition benefits stack with the school's tuition based scholarship? Is  

00:27:36,280 --> 00:27:46,377
the combined is less than the cost and tuition 
mandatory? So what we do when we calculate we calculate 30% of tuition.

00:27:46,377 --> 00:27:53,200
So let's give an example of the child is receiving 
funding from another source. And it is  

00:27:53,200 --> 00:28:03,560
tuition based. If the tuition is $2,000 
and we are making a 30% payment to that,  

00:28:03,560 --> 00:28:11,960
the amount would be $6,000. So $600. I'm sorry. 
So tuition is $2,000, 30% is $600. Cornell makes $600  

00:28:11,960 --> 00:28:21,711
worth of payment. If your student is receiving 
$1,500 in other funding, that is tuition based, that would leave a balance of only $500.

00:28:21,711 --> 00:28:29,560
So Cornell would make the payment of 500 rather than 600, because the other tuition based scholarship or payment is going to 

00:28:29,560 --> 00:28:37,680
cover up to 100% when we pay 500. So, we can only 
make payment up to the full tuition and fees. And  

00:28:37,680 --> 00:28:45,400
if other two of the tuition based scholarships are 
in the factor, then we can only make up to 100% rather than the 30% of the tuition.  

00:28:48,920 --> 00:28:52,600
Hopefully that answers your question. And if I didn't, please feel free to reach out directly and we can have  

00:28:52,600 --> 00:29:00,400
a conversation on how that works. All right. So 
the next question is, could you help provide an  

00:29:00,400 --> 00:29:08,818
example of how the amount is calculated? let's 
see. For example, there's a $39,000. Our son is receiving 23 in scholarship.  

00:29:08,818 --> 00:29:12,400
Okay. So, I alluded to this  

00:29:12,400 --> 00:29:19,880
just a bit in the answer before, but let's say the 
tuition is $39,000 is noted here. and that's let's  

00:29:19,880 --> 00:29:33,120
say per year. Cornell would do 30% of that, which 
is $58,050, $5,850. if your child is receiving a  

00:29:33,120 --> 00:29:41,952
scholarship, it's $23,000. What we do is we based 
the calculation on tuition and then factoring any tuition based scholarships.  

00:29:41,952 --> 00:29:44,560
So if there's no tuition based scholarships,  

00:29:44,560 --> 00:29:50,640
we would just look at the 30%, and calculate what 
that is. If the tuition if the scholarships are  

00:29:50,640 --> 00:29:58,360
tuition based, then we would subtract that amount 
if necessary and pay up to the 100% of tuition  

00:29:58,360 --> 00:30:06,213
rather than 30% of what tuition and fees are with 
that other funding. Hopefully that's clear and you understand that as well. 

00:30:06,213 --> 00:30:14,680
If not, please feel free to contact. And, I will, be sure to answer the question for you in a clearer method. All right. So someone saying  

00:30:14,680 --> 00:30:21,120
I did not understand how the tuition factors 
into the ctfs. So you said a minimum of ctfs  

00:30:21,120 --> 00:30:29,376
is applied. Does that mean 30% is completed before 
the other scholarships or. Okay, so this is pretty much the same question that was asked prior.  

00:30:29,376 --> 00:30:39,080
We calculate 30% of the full tuition and fees given by the school. If there is other tuition based funding provided and  

00:30:39,080 --> 00:30:47,680
it will exceed 30% when given, we would calculate 
what makes the whole tuition and fees. So again,  

00:30:47,680 --> 00:30:55,440
in the example, if the tuition is $2,000, 
30% of $2,000 is $600. If the student is  

00:30:55,440 --> 00:31:03,684
receiving tuition scholarships, the Max 
up to $1,500, then that only leaves a portion, which is $500,

00:31:03,684 --> 00:31:15,932
it can be paid. And so instead of paying 600 to the 30%, we would pay 500 to make the tuition and fees 100%, which is $2,000. Hopefully that's clear as well.

00:31:15,932 --> 00:31:21,360
Does going on sabbatical impact eligibility? It 
will impact eligibility. And again,  

00:31:21,360 --> 00:31:28,054
I ask you to visit the website. it will depend on 
the type of sabbatical you're on and the length of time you're on sabbatical. 

00:31:28,054 --> 00:31:37,802
The benefit can be paid, but only up to one semester. So please visit our website. see if the answer is on the website. And if not, please feel free to contact me directly.

00:31:37,802 --> 00:31:44,680
All right. We have a two part question here. I noted the fees are made directly to this school, 
but the last slide says it's a reimbursement  

00:31:44,680 --> 00:31:53,160
program. Can you call can you clarify? So the KTS 
program is a reimbursement program in that we make  

00:31:53,160 --> 00:32:00,394
payment if we can, but if we're not able to make 
payment prior to when the tuition bill is due, then the payment is your responsibility.

00:32:00,394 --> 00:32:06,520
And then you would have to make payment, and you'd be reimbursed by the school. So it's paid directly to the  

00:32:06,520 --> 00:32:13,080
school. It cannot be paid to the employee or the 
student, but because it's a reimbursement program,  

00:32:13,080 --> 00:32:18,120
if our payment does not reach the school 
prior to when the due date has come,  

00:32:18,120 --> 00:32:25,052
you may need to make payment or you would need to make payment towards your child's tuition and then be reimbursed by the school.

00:32:25,052 --> 00:32:32,939
So we do make every effort to do it prior, but sometimes we're not able to. So you would be reimbursed by the school for that payment.  

00:32:32,939 --> 00:32:37,200
If room and board are mandatory in an institution like Cornell,  

00:32:37,200 --> 00:32:45,592
will the benefit apply towards those costs? The 
answer is no, unfortunately. So the program is designed to make payment to tuition only.  

00:32:45,592 --> 00:32:47,640
It does not make payment towards room and board,  

00:32:47,640 --> 00:32:54,800
even if that is required. so what you would 
see is 50% of the tuition costs at Cornell and  

00:32:54,800 --> 00:32:59,720
nothing would be applied to the room and board. 
And that's just that's the way the program is set  

00:32:59,720 --> 00:33:06,272
up in May. And so that's why, no payment is made 
to room and board, even if it is mandatory, unfortunately.

00:33:06,272 --> 00:33:08,480
Do all students who are children of employees get  

00:33:08,480 --> 00:33:12,640
this benefit, or is there a limit on the number of 
children? There is no limit. So if you have more  

00:33:12,640 --> 00:33:19,000
than one child and you are an employee, you do 
qualify for the benefit. Each child would receive  

00:33:19,000 --> 00:33:26,812
30% at an outside school or 50% at Cornell, so 
there is no benefit to the number of children you can apply for the benefit for,  

00:33:26,812 --> 00:33:29,032
and hopefully that answers your question.

00:33:29,032 --> 00:33:36,040
Are administrative fees included in tuition for all schools? That is quite possible. we don't know about administrative  

00:33:36,040 --> 00:33:41,800
fees. What we get for outside schools is 
tuition and any fees that are applicable.  

00:33:41,800 --> 00:33:47,560
So likely there are administrative fees included, 
and we would pay 30% of that. The only exclusion  

00:33:47,560 --> 00:33:56,975
for the administrative fees are is anyone who, was hired at Cornell and has been here prior to July 1st of 1983.  

00:33:56,975 --> 00:34:02,840
So that's where the 100% of tuition will come in at Cornell, only minus the administrative fees, but otherwise  

00:34:02,840 --> 00:34:08,880
administrative fees are covered. we have another 
question here. This is the benefit to apply to  

00:34:08,880 --> 00:34:14,440
my child if attending an international college. 
Yes. So if your child is completing a degree,  

00:34:14,440 --> 00:34:19,320
bachelor's associate's degree, an undergraduate at an institution that's not at Cornell...

00:34:21,440 --> 00:34:28,560
I'm sorry, not in the  United States. Yes, you can get the benefit. we would make payments to international colleges. And  

00:34:28,560 --> 00:34:37,120
one thing to be noted is there is a semester cap 
so you can get the benefit at ten semesters. If,  

00:34:37,120 --> 00:34:43,529
your child is attending and you're qualified for the benefit or the attainment of a bachelor's degree.  

00:34:43,529 --> 00:34:50,960
So semesters, we do know some schools have trimester or quarter systems. We consider that the academic year  

00:34:50,960 --> 00:34:57,160
equivalent to a two-ish to a semester. And so 
we have the benefit of ten semesters or the  

00:34:57,160 --> 00:35:04,960
attainment of a bachelor's degree. And hopefully 
that's helpful to everyone. Okay. I think that's  

00:35:04,960 --> 00:35:12,116
it for questions. If there's anything that comes 
up, please feel free to reach out to us and we can answer your questions.

00:35:12,116 --> 00:35:19,840
Thank you all for your time and for attending our presentation, and we hope to talk with you soon. Thanks very much.