Cornell University’s Child Care Grant provides financial assistance by reimbursing you for child care expenses, including infant and toddler child care, pre- school/pre-K programs, care on school holidays, school-age summer day camps/programs, and school-age before/after school care, provided those expenses allow you and your spouse or partner (if applicable) to work or to seek work. By providing you with this fully-funded Grant, Cornell hopes to allow you to explore options and find creative solutions to some of the child care challenges you face.
APPLY FOR CHILD CARE GRANT
Important Updates for 2020-2021
For 2021, in response to both the challenges of COVID-19 and to better meet the needs of working families, we have modified the Child Care Grant award determinations to be flat dollar amount awards, based on household income and age(s) of child(ren). We will still collect your estimated costs of care/expenses, but we understand that during the fall, it may be harder for you to estimate your child care expenses for the next year and/or needs may be uncertain or change over time.
In addition, to better address any uncertainty or changing needs you may have for 2021, we are offering two Child Care Grant award periods:
- Applications due in September 2020 will be for a twelve-month award to cover expenses from January 1 to December 31, 2021. If you are uncertain of your 2021 needs during the September 2020 application period, you may choose to delay applying for an award until June 2021 – when you can be considered for a six-month award.
- Applications due in June 2021 will be for a six-month award, to cover expenses from July 1 to December 31, 2021. While these six-month awards must be granted on a post-tax basis (i.e. taxable income to you in 2021), we are hoping they meet your needs, particularly if any of these three situations apply:
- You are a new hire, joining Cornell from October 1, 2020 through May 31, 2021 (and therefore not eligible for the January 1, 2021 awards)
- You received a January Child Care Grant award, but have subsequently experienced a decrease in household income or an increase in number of dependents after your initial fall application (this may result in an additional award amount in 2021)
- You were eligible, but did not apply during the September application period due to uncertainty about needs and expenses for the period January – June 2021
Print as PDF