Domestic Violence Resources


whatever comes you way, you can get through this. 800-942-6906. Help is available. New York State Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline

Are you, or someone you know, experiencing domestic violence?

Domestic and intimate partner violence is an issue that affects employees and students in our community.  Cornell University is committed to providing resources to employees who are victims of domestic violence.  Below is a description of the campus and local resources available to Cornell employees in need of assistance.

If you are a manager, please use Cornell's Guide to Domestic Violence at the Workplace (best viewed in Chrome/Firefox/Explorer) for assistance navigating workplace situations. 


What is domestic violence? 

Domestic violence includes but is not limited to harassment, sexual abuse, stalking, and menacing behavior that is committed by a family member or intimate partner and has created a substantial risk of physical or emotional harm to a person or a person’s child. This behavior includes physical as well as emotional or sexual violence, physical and/or psychological intimidation, verbal abuse, economic control, threats, or injury.


Who is impacted by domestic violence?

Domestic violence occurs to all genders, abilities, races, ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, and occurs regardless of education level, religious affiliation, or other aspects of life and identity.  Learn more about the prevalence of domestic violence and intimate partner violence in this short video.


What resources do victims of domestic violence need?

Every situation is different.  An employee might need assistance with alternative housing, transportation, time off from work, medical care, and/or assistance with legal protections, such as an order of protection from the courts.  Note: an Order of Protection is a court order that tells one person what he/she cannot do to another person, or what contact is allowed.

An employee might also need workplace accommodations if he or she fears his/her partner may try to contact them at work, such as:

  • a change in telephone number;
  • Net ID;
  • change to address or other contact information included on benefits information;
  • work schedule and/or location;
  • work location;
  • transportation arrangements including parking location;
  • time off or flexible scheduling for court appointments, care for themselves and/or members of their families;
  • time off to settle in a new home or to make arrangements for a new home.

Employees are encouraged to consider contacting a confidential victim advocate who can help an individual decide what is needed both in the short term as well as in the future. Find more resources in the short video from Wellbeing@Work.


How do I help my colleague, friend, family member, etc. whom I know, or suspect, is experiencing domestic violence?

  • If you are a manager, please see Cornell’s Guide to Domestic Violence at the Workplace  (best viewed in Chrome/Firefox/Explorer)
  • If you are a colleague, speak to the individual about your concerns and offer to help them access resources. You may ask for guidance from your supervisor, local HR representative, the Cornell Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (607-255-2673), or other appropriate offices.
  • If you are a friend/family member, speak to the individual about your concerns and offer to help them access resources. Concerned individuals may call the Advocacy Center of Tompkins County (607-277-5000) for guidance and other resources identified on this page may also be appropriate.


Cornell’s Victim Advocacy Program

This program offers confidential assistance to members of the campus community who have experienced harmful, threatening, or violent incidents including domestic violence.  A victim advocate can answer questions, provide support, discuss options, facilitate connections to services and assist with academic, work, or other accommodations.

Calls or email inquiries to the Victim Advocacy Program will be returned promptly during business hours (this is not a 24 hr. crisis service. Please note that to protect confidentiality and for safety reasons, when a victim advocate returns a call and there is no answer, if the voicemail ID is not identifiable as the original caller, a message may not be left).


Advocacy Center of Tompkins County  

The Advocacy Center offers free, confidential support & services for those impacted by domestic/dating violence, stalking, and/or sexual violence. All services are available to people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ability, or immigration status, and callers to the hotline can remain anonymous if they choose. 

Advocacy Center services include crisis intervention, emotional support, and safety planning; confidential shelter; support and/or accompaniment accessing services such as hospital, police, court proceedings, or social services; legal advocacy including help with orders of protection or emergency custody; individual or group support and empowerment classes; trauma therapy or referrals; and awareness, professional training, & prevention education programming.


Additional support resources for Cornell employees

Cornell Police

In an emergency, call 911; for advice and assistance, call 607-255-1111.   Also available is the RAVE Guardian app - this app, free to the campus community, can enhance the user’s personal safety both on and off-campus by turning any smartphone into a personal safety device.  

Faculty and Staff Assistance Program ; Tel: 607-255-2673. FSAP's professional staff offers free and confidential guidance and support to address issues that may be affecting their personal lives and/or job satisfaction or performance. Services include: Personal consultation and needs assessment; information about and referral to campus or community resources and services; short-term counseling; consultation with supervisors, managers, and others who are concerned about an employee or workplace situation; crisis response and community support.

Office of Institutional Equity and Title IX ; Tel: 607-255-2242. The Office of Institutional Equity and Title IX can assist with the discussion of options, resources, and support for Cornell students, faculty, and staff. Learn more about their responsibilities in this video.


For medical concerns, contact your primary care provider or one of the following options

Cayuga Medical Center (CMC) Hospital

Ithaca's acute-care facility for emergency, inpatient, and outpatient needs, 24 /7; 365 days a year.; 607-274-4011 (Emergency Department: 607-274-4411); 101 Dates Drive (Route 96), on the West side of Cayuga Lake - about 15 minutes from Cornell

Urgent Care at Ithaca (formerly Convenient Care)

CMC's urgent care clinic; 607-274-4150; 10 Arrowwood Drive, near the crossroads of Route 13 and Warren Road - about 5 minutes from Cornell. 

Well Now Urgent Care 

Ithaca's independent non-emergency walk-in clinic offers medical care without an appointment.; 607-319-4563; 740 South Meadow Street (Route 13), just south of Wegman's; Seven days a week 8 am to 8 pm


Domestic Violence 24/7 Hotlines: 

Advocacy Center of Tompkins County

24/7 Hotline: 607-277-5000;

New York State Domestic Violence Hotline

24/7 Hotline: 1-800-942-6906; TTY 711;

The National Domestic Violence Hotline

24/7 Hotline: 1-800-799-7233; TTY 1-800-787-3224;

Disability Communities:


Questions and Answers About Resources for Victims 

Do you need immediate assistance for your safety, the safety of others, or emergency medical care?

Please call 911 or Cornell Police at 607-255-1111

Do you need counseling, referrals, or support?

Please call any of the following:

  • Cornell Victim Advocates: 607-255-1212;
  • Faculty and Staff Assistance (FSAP): 607-255-2673 (urgent crisis help available 24/7; non-urgent issues please phone during business hours)
  • The Advocacy Center: 24/ 7 Hotline: 607-277-5000;


Do you have an order of protection against your partner?

Please contact the Cornell Police at 607-255-1111 to discuss your safety while at work.

Do you think you need an order of protection against your partner?

Consider talking with someone at the following resources:

Has your partner violated an order of protection or do you have safety concerns?

  • Cornell Police: 607-255-1111
  • The Advocacy Center: 24/ 7 Hotline:  607-277-5000;

Do you need assistance with alternative living arrangements that will provide safety?

Do you need employment accommodations at Cornell such as:

  • A change to your work schedule;
    • Different hours of work;
    • Different work location;
    • Time off, with notice, for court appointments;
    • Time off, with notice to care for yourself or a family member;
    • Time off, with notice to move into alternative housing;
  • A change to your work telephone number;
  • A change to your NetID;
  • A change to your listing on the Cornell directory or website;
  • A change to your parking arrangements or an escort to your vehicle.

Please contact any of the following:


Do you need a change to your benefits or benefits information in order to protect your confidentiality such as a new address or contact information?       

HR Services and Transitions Center

607-255-3936; (TTY) 711;

Do you need to take a leave from work to care for yourself or your family?

Please consult with:

  • Medical Leaves Administration
    • East Hill Office Building, Suite 130, 395 Pine Tree Road, Ithaca, NY 14850; (607) 255-1177; (607) 255-7066 (TTY);
  • Faculty and Staff Assistance Program 


Do you think you may need to leave your job because of domestic violence?

Before you do so, please contact one of the following to discuss your options: