Download the pdf
As a member of the Cornell Community I . . .
Interact with integrity
So people are respected and engaged.
- Be honest and trustworthy, demonstrate high standards of personal conduct.
- Have a positive attitude.
- Involve others as appropriate when outcomes impact their work.
- Be diplomatic in your interactions with customers and stakeholders.
- Admit your mistakes and learn from them.
- Acknowledge the support and contributions of others.
Contribute positively to an inclusive environment
So people feel like they belong.
- Communicate across difference to create a collaborative, collegial, and caring community.
- Be cooperative, open and welcoming to all.
- Show respect, compassion and empathy for others, even in difficult situations.
- Engage and support others regardless of background or perspective.
- Speak up when others are being excluded or treated inappropriately.
- Actively support work-life integration.
Support the organization’s shared vision and mission
I am trusted to move university and team goals forward.
- Show commitment to unit and university goals in delivering results.
- Anticipate, embrace, promote and implement change.
- Balance short-term gains with long-term vision.
- Be open and receptive to new information, ideas and approaches.
- Be adaptable, modify your preferred way of doing things when it benefits the whole.
- Support ideas, solutions and changes to processes to ensure high quality outcomes.
Communicate clearly and consistently
So people are informed and heard.
- Seek to understand and then to be understood.
- Demonstrate active listening skills.
- Express thoughts clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Share knowledge and information.
- Give, receive and act upon helpful and timely feedback.
Act and take initiative
I take ownership of my work and results.
- Adopt a culture of sustainability and efficiency.
- Strive to develop and implement best practices.
- Take responsible risks to innovate seeking advancements in products, processes, services, technologies or ideas.
- Identify opportunities in challenges and show initiative.
- Reach out in a timely and responsive manner to resolve problems and conflicts.
- Anticipate and adapt to changing priorities and additional demands.
Display sound judgment in problem solving
People seek me out to find solutions to deliver results.
- Exercise sound judgment to make decisions and meet deliverables.
- Assess environmental, economic, compliance and social impacts in decision-making.
- Demonstrate innovative, creative and informed risk taking.
- Apply analytical thinking, data and metrics to synthesize complex information.
- Anticipate obstacles and generate alternatives.
- Negotiate to find and orchestrate win-win solutions.
Proactively seek self-development and coaching opportunities
People see my commitment and passion to continuously develop.
- Be self-aware.
- Work to continuously learn and improve.
- Take measures to ensure personal well-being and balance.
- Seek and act upon performance feedback.
- Apply learning to evolving assignments.
- Actively manage your career.
- Encourage others to develop themselves.
Print as PDF