Credited service

Cornell credited service is defined as an employee’s length of non-student benefits-eligible employment at the University. It is used to determine vacation accrual rates, employee service award recognition, and Cornell retirement eligibility.  

Cornell "credited service" does not equate to New York State Employees’ Retirement System (NYSERS) or New York State Health Insurance Plan (NYSHIP) credited service for contract college (state) employees.

How Cornell calculates credited service

An employee’s credited service date reflects the cumulative amount of time holding a non-student benefits-eligible appointment at the university regardless of the length of any break(s) in service.

Credited service adds together service including:

  • Non-student benefits-eligible service, including but not limited to
    • approved medical leave i.e. workers comp, short term disability or long term disability,
    • paid or unpaid military leave,
    • short term layoff status,
    • paid or unpaid personal leave of absence, and
    • paid or unpaid family leave for staff.
  • Time spent in a non-benefits eligible temporary appointment if the employee moves to a benefits-eligible appointment with no break in service; i.e. credited service will include service from the beginning of the non-benefits eligible temporary appointment.

Credited service does not include:

  • student employment,
  • casual appointments,
  • time on indefinite layoff status,
  • University Leave of Absence,
  • time during a break in service, or
  • temporary non-benefits eligible positions (see exception above)

Credited service frequently asked questions

Where can I view my Cornell credited service?

Log in to Workday and click on your name and photo in the upper right hand corner, then select “view profile”. This will bring you to your detailed employee record. Your Cornell credited service date is stored in the Workday field labeled “Years of Service” and can be found on the bottom left hand side of this screen.

Why is my credited service date different from my hire date?

For many employees the credited service date is the same as their hire date. Only employees who have had a break in service from the University or held a non-benefits eligible position would potentially have a different date. Students who transfer to non-student positions will also have a credited service date that is different from their hire date.

What do I do if I believe my credited service date is incorrect?

Begin with your college or unit Human Resources representative to discuss your circumstances and determine if your date may need further review. If further review is appropriate, the HR representative will request a comprehensive review of your record to determine your credited service date.

How long does the review process typically take?

Time sensitive requests (i.e. pending retirement or an impact on benefits eligibility) are prioritized. While review and processing times will vary, you can expect your review to be finalized within 2-4 weeks of the request being submitted.

How will I be notified when the review of my service date is complete?

Your college/unit HR representative will let you know the outcome of your credited service date review, and as needed, provide a detailed explanation if the date was not changed.

I held a non-benefits eligible temporary position and then began a benefits eligible position. Will the time spent in the non-benefits eligible position be counted (added to my service date)?

It depends – did you have a break in service between the temporary and regular position?

If there was not a break in service between positions, then you will be credited for service from the beginning of the non-benefits eligible temporary appointment.

 If there was a break in service, then time spent in the non-benefits eligible job would not count.

If I move from Weill Cornell Medical College or eCornell to the Cornell Ithaca campus will my credited service be counted or will I be starting with no credited service?

  • If there is no break in service, all credited service (whatever benefits eligible service is reported by departing organization to the hiring organization) moves to new campus and is counted.
    • Vacation balance up to the maximum of the hiring organization will be transferred. Vacation balance over the maximum, if any, will be paid out by the organization from which the individual is departing.
    • Health and Personal Leave/Sick leave balance up to the maximum of the hiring organization will be transferred.
  •  If there is a break in service, both campuses will count all benefits eligible service accrued at the University unless specifically stated otherwise in Benefits Plan documents. It is the responsibility of the employee to notify the hiring organization of prior service, and possibly to provide evidence.
    • Vacation and Health and Personal Leave/Sick leave balances do not transfer if there is a break in service.

Note: This is also true if an employee moves from the Cornell Ithaca campus to the Weill Cornell Medical College or eCornell.

If I move from a Cornell Cooperative Extension Association (i.e., the Tompkins County Association) to the Cornell University campus will my credited service be counted?

No, your service from a Cornell Cooperative Extension does not count toward your Cornell credited service.

Do academic employees accrue Cornell credited service?

Yes.  However, the formula for calculating credited service as described in this communication has already been in place for academics, so it does not represent a change for them. If academic employees want to verify their credited service, they should contact their HR Rep, but note that the Cornell credited service date for academics is not stored in Workday at this time.

Continuous service

Continuous service (as applied outside of Workday) is defined as uninterrupted time holding a regular or temporary benefits-eligible appointment. Regular or temporary benefits-eligible appointments are outlined under credited service above.

What is continuous service used for?

Continuous service is used to determine an employee’s eligibility to use vacation, layoff status, vacation payout and severance pay.