Cornell provides the following development programs for those in supervisory and management roles.
Two programs are prerequisite to attendance at Management Curriculum courses:
Register at CULearn
Management Academy Curriculum
The curriculum addresses nine competencies and two levels, Applied and Mastery. Each level includes both core and elective courses. Supervisors may take courses individually, or pursue Management Academy certificates at the Applied and Mastery levels.
Skills addressed by the program include:
The purpose of the curriculum is to further develop the skills of current managers in:
- Managing the effective business and administrative operations of a relatively mid-sized department covering one or more functional areas or employees with a single area of expertise.
- Assisting with developing organizational operating policies and procedures and monitoring for compliance.
- Estimating human resource needs, recommending candidates for employment, and directing the work of departmental staff to meet deadlines.
- Managing conflict, projects, initiating new activities in support of goals, and promoting change initiatives and recognizing and utilizing the skills of others.
- Serving as liaison between other departments and representing the unit and/or the department.
- Building networks across the university.
Participants are nominated to attend the Applied and Mastery curricula.
- Participants are nominated by a supervisor in alignment with the unit's succession strategy.
- Participants most often hold a position that is E, F, G, H, I
For additional information, please click on the courses above or contact Jim Sheridan at 254-1360 or Jennifer Fonseca at 254-1635.
Print as PDF