Tuition Aid FAQ

Quick Facts:

  • Eligibility: One year full time employment, or three years part-time employment
  • Credit Limit: 4 credits per semester, 8 for academic year. Can also be used for job-related workshops or certificate programs.
  • Class Subject: Must be job-related
  • Supervisory Involvement: Supervisor’s approval is required
  • Grades: You must achieve a grade of C or better to receive reimbursement.
  • Pay: Class time is considered time worked only if class is not available outside your normal work day; Tuition Aid benefit is intended to be used for classes taken outside normal work day.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Is there a deadline to apply? No, you can apply any time.

Can I use Tuition Aid for books or other costs? No, Tuition Aid provides partial reimbursement for the cost of tuition only.

If the courses I’m taking are not during my work hours, do I need my supervisor’s approval? Yes. Your supervisor needs to confirm that the class is job-related in order to be eligible for Tuition Aid.

Can I use Tuition Aid for online courses? Yes.

Can I use Tuition Aid toward a degree? Yes, but coursework must be job-related. If you enroll in a degree program that is not job-related, HRSTC must review each class within the program for relevance to your position.

Can I use Tuition Aid and Part Time Study (formerly Extramural Study) together? Yes, but you can only receive Tuition Aid reimbursement for up to 4 credits per semester.

How do I get reimbursed? When you register for classes, complete a Tuition Aid application. Endowed employees need signatures of their supervisor and department head. Contract college employees need signatures of supervisor, department head, and dean.