Human Resources has begun applying a new definition of credited service that has replaced Human Resources Policy 6.8.1, Credited Service, and the Break in Service section of Policy 6.9, Time Away From Work. Under this new approach, all non-student, benefits-eligible service is credited regardless of breaks in service. The summation of credited service does not include student employment, time during a break in service, time on indefinite layoff status, University Leave of Absence, casual appointments, or time in most temporary non-benefits eligible positions. A complete overview of the credited service definition is available on the Human Resources website.
The new definition is more generous that the previous policy, and therefore will only impact a staff member’s credited service date in a positive, or neutral, way. Credited service can be viewed in Workday in the field labeled "Years of Service."
We have also updated references to credited service in the policies noted below:
- Staff Transfer, Policy 6.10.9
- Probationary Period, Policy 6.11.2
- Temporary and Casual Appointments, Policy 6.7.5
- Separations, Policy 6.12
- Time Away From Work, Policy 6.9
- Health and Personal Leave, section of Policy 6.9
- Vacation, section of Policy 6.9
- Military Leave of Absence, section of Policy 6.9
- Leave of Absence Without Pay, section of Policy 6.9
Questions can be directed to your human resources representative.