Cornell University’s Child Care Grant Program helps faculty and staff pay for child care expenses by granting awards of up to $5,000 a year, tax-free.
To be eligible for the Grant, you must:
- Be a benefits-eligible Cornell faculty or staff member eligible to participate in Cornell’s Flexible Spending Dependent Care Account. County Extension Association employees are not eligible to apply for the Grant.
- Be unmarried or, based on IRS rules for Dependent Care Accounts, have a spouse/partner who is:
- Employed at least part time or
- A full-time student or
- Considered legally disabled or
- Unemployed but actively seeking employment: must have legal work authorization to work in the United States (work visa is required and must be attached as documentation).
- Have a total household gross income of less than $150,000 per year
- Have a child who is your legal dependent (as defined by IRS regulations), and for whom you are financially responsible or be pregnant and anticipating child care expenses for 2018.
- Have a child under age 13 or have an older child that has a documented disability-related special need.
The grant covers eligible child care, including infant and toddler day care, pre-school/pre-K programs, school-age summer day camps/programs, and school-age before/after school care. This grant subsidy program helps you explore options and find creative solutions to some of the child care challenges you face.
Student Child Care Grant
Undergraduate and graduate/professional students can find child care grant information, guidelines and applications posted on the Cornell Students with Children website.
The Child Care Grant has an annual application period each September for the following calendar year. The application period for 2018 is now closed.
Please note: Your application cannot be finalized and processed until all required supporting documentation is submitted to Benefit Services.
(Please see below for required supporting documentation, and how to submit.)
Required supporting documentation to submit:
- A copy of your printed online application
- A copy of the two most recent pay slips for you and your spouse/partner.
- If your spouse/partner is self-employed, a Schedule C or 1099 is required
- If your spouse/partner is a student, proof of registration is required
- If your spouse/partner is currently looking for work, legal authorization to work in the United States (work visa) must be provided.
- Note: If your total household income is not clear on the documentation provided, please include a copy of your 2016 income tax return.
How to submit your required supporting documentation:
You may submit the above documents either in person, via the Cornell Dropbox, or by sending via U.S. Mail (postmarked by September 29, 2017).
If sending by U.S. Mail, use this address:
Child Care Grant
395 Pine Tree Road
East Hill Office Building, Suite 130
Ithaca, New York 14850
If using the Cornell Dropbox, please scan and send all pages as one document.
- Visit dropbox.cornell.edu
- Log in with NetID
- Click on "Prepare Upload"
- Enter the following NetID: TR19 for Theresa Rapacki and click “Add.”
- Click "Choose File" and upload documents
- Click "Send"
Note: Applications and supporting documentation are due no later than the deadline of September 29, 2017 (4:30 p.m.).