Marriage or Domestic Partnership

Cornell’s benefits extend to spouses and domestic partners. When you get married or register for a domestic partner, you can make changes to your benefits. If you decide to make changes, you’ll need to update your benefits within a prescribed length of time. Read the Benefit Aids below for details, and contact Benefit Services at 607-255-3936 with any questions.

Partners are eligible for the same benefits as spouses except for flexible spending accounts (the Internal Revenue Code's definition of a dependent governs the plan). Partners are also eligible for the funeral, parental and family health care leaves. There are important distinctions between marriage and domestic partnership with regard to taxes and other considerations. Refer to these FAQs for details about tax implications, rate breakdowns, documentation requirements, etc:

Endowed Employees:

Contract College Employees


Adding a spouse or domestic partner to your benefits?

Benefits Checklist

Name change?

How to Change Your Legal or Preferred Name in Workday

Login to Workday.

Click on the Personal Information icon and then click either Change Legal Name or Preferred Name, as applicable. See complete Workday instructions for updating personal information.  Important: Remember to click Submit when finished!

Changing Legal Name:

  • Your Legal Name must match exactly how your name is listed on your Social Security card.
  • Once you submit the change, it will route to your local Human Resources representative who will ask for supporting documentation. Cornell faculty and staff must submit a copy of your social security card reflecting your new name to your local HR representative. (other forms of identification will not be accepted).

Changing Preferred Name:

  • Select Preferred Name from the Change menu. De-select the Use Legal Name as Preferred Name box and enter the changes in the fields as needed.
  • Workday will always display (and search by) Preferred Name, although the employee record will contain your
  • All Cornell systems that receive data from Workday will also display Preferred Name. For compliance purposes, Legal Name will be used on W-2's and any other compliance-related documentation.

Legal or Preferred Name in Office 365

By default, the Office 365 email and calendar system uses your legal first, middle, and last name as it's entered in Workday. Change your preferred name in Workday (see above) to show up on your Cornell email and calendar. More information about email.

Any questions regarding the use of Legal or Preferred name(s) should be directed to the local college or unit Human Resources representative .


Other places to change your name:

  • Voicemail message
  • Business cards
  • Social Security Administration
  • Department of Motor Vehicles