Changing Your Name in Workday:
Login to Workday.
Click on the Personal Information icon and then click either Change Legal Name or Preferred Name, as applicable. See complete Workday instructions for updating personal information.
Important: Remember to click Submit when finished!
Changing Legal Name:
- Your Legal Name must match exactly how your name is listed on your Social Security card.
- Once you submit the change, it will route to your local Human Resources representative who will ask for supporting documentation. Cornell faculty and staff must submit a copy of your social security card reflecting your new name to your local HR representative. (other forms of identification will not be accepted).
Changing Preferred Name:
- Select Preferred Name from the Change menu. De-select the Use Legal Name as Preferred Name box and enter the changes in the fields as needed.
- Workday will always display (and search by) Preferred Name, although the employee record will contain your
- All Cornell systems that receive data from Workday will also display Preferred Name. For compliance purposes, Legal Name will be used on W-2's and any other compliance-related documentation.
Legal or Preferred Name in Office 365
By default, the Office 365 email and calendar system uses your legal first, middle, and last name as it's entered in Workday. Change your preferred name in Workday (see above) to show up on your Cornell email and calendar. More information about email.
Any questions regarding the use of Legal or Preferred name(s) should be directed to the local college or unit Human Resources representative .
Other places to change your name:
- Voicemail message
- Business cards
- Social Security Administration
- Department of Motor Vehicles
Print as PDF