Skip to main content

Warning message

Commencement: Community members are encouraged to avoid driving on campus if possible May 25-28. Alternatives to parking on campus include using a park-and-ride, working remotely (if approved to do so), sharing the ride, taking transit, or cycling or walking to campus. More details: parking & road closures.

Guidelines for Temporary and Casual Appointments


  • A temporary appointment is a work engagement of at least 20 hours per week with a term of employment of less than six consecutive months.
  • A casual appointment is a work engagement of less than 20 hours per week. Casual appointments may be made for an indefinite duration.

Pay Rates

Whenever possible, temporary/casual pay rates should be established at the recruitment minimum of the pay band level assigned to regular university positions performing similar duties and responsibilities. Pay rates should not exceed the recruitment maximum of the band level and should be in accordance with the department's internal pay equity. A pay rate in excess of the recruitment pay band maximum must be approved by the local college or unit HR representative or designee before it can be used as an offer to a candidate.

Temporary/casual employees should be (or, normally are to be) appointed as nonexempt. Appointment exceptions must have the prior approval of the hiring department's unit/college local hr representative or designee.

Departments are encouraged to contact their local hr representative or designee with pay rate questions or concerns.

Benefits Eligibility

Review the benefits eligibility information for temps and casuals, and contact Benefit Services with additional questions.

Appointment Processing


Departments may advertise for a temporary/casual position through Workday.


Temporary and casual appointments are subject to termination at any time.

Temporary Appointment Extensions

The approval of the local HR representative or designee is needed in order to extend a temporary appointment beyond six months. The hiring supervisor must state the reason for the extension in the comment section of the University Personnel Action Form.

Identification Cards

Temporary university identification (I.D.) cards may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar in B07 Day Hall. The employee must have a written request from the hiring supervisor, on departmental letterhead, authorizing the issuance of the temporary card. This letter should include the employee's name, position title and the duration of the appointment.